Re: st: Including constant?

From   Maarten Buis <>
Subject   Re: st: Including constant?
Date   Wed, 1 Jun 2011 18:48:34 +0200

---- On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 6:28 PM, Nick Cox wrote:
> In various Earth and environmental sciences in which I write or
> review papers leaving out the constant would be generally
> regarded as gross statistical illiteracy.

Adding and discussing the constant term (after appropriately centering
your explanatory/independent/right hand side/x variables) can be
useful for refreshing the memory of your readers on what the unit of
your explained/dependent/left hand side/y variable is. This can be
particularly useful in models like logistic regression, where the unit
is the odds of "success". Refreshing/explaining what an odds is is
often necessary or at least useful. See for example:

-- Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie
Universitaet Tuebingen