st: xi3 with xtreg?

From   "Minson, Julia" <>
To   "" <>
Subject   st: xi3 with xtreg?
Date   Wed, 1 Jun 2011 14:46:01 +0000

Hi everyone,

I working on a data set from an experiment with a two cell between-subjects design, in which each participant provided ten observations. I am interested in the difference between conditions. I don't care about the within-subject variance. I am curious what stata does if I use the xi3 command to control for person fixed effects in combination with xtreg?

So the syntax would be:

xi3: xtreg dv iv i.participant, i(participant)

The reason I am wanting to do this is that I get a more significant effect of condition than by just using xtreg or xtmixed without the xi3 option. Also just curious what it's actually doing...