Re: st: Issue on sorting on categorical variables

From   Nick Cox <>
Subject   Re: st: Issue on sorting on categorical variables
Date   Wed, 1 Jun 2011 14:26:12 +0100

If you still have the variable -id- and have not changed it then such commands should be repeatable; otherwise things are not in your favour.

<> wrote:

I have an issue about sorting on categorical variables.
I sorted on a variable that does not have unique values for every observation in the data and subsequently I referred to the order within the group by generating a variable id = _n. I then used the id number to replace values (such as: replace variable = 10 if id==100). I realize that my approach is wrong, as explained in the FAQ ( ), since Stata does not keep the same ordering. However, since I implemented a huge amount of modifications, I was wondering if there is a way to be able to run the do file again and obtain the same results.