Re: st: Prediction for fractional logit

From   Maarten Buis <>
Subject   Re: st: Prediction for fractional logit
Date   Tue, 31 May 2011 14:49:23 +0200

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 2:40 PM, S N <> wrote:
> Another aspect that I failed to mention is that approximately 27
> percent of the dependent variable 'prop_gra' takes the value 1.

If you have that many 1s it pays to think carefully on how you think
those came about: Do you think that it is just a very high proportion
that due to the discrete nature of your unit "by accident" turned out
to be 1 or are those 1s special in the sense that they are the result
of a separate decision? You assume the former process when you apply a
fractional logit. If you think the latter process applies you can use
-zoib-, which you can obtain by typing in Stata -ssc install zoib-.
You can read more about this in this talk I gave at the 2010 German
Stata Users' meeting: <>.

-- Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie