st: Counting between 2 variables

From   Lucie Vlach <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Counting between 2 variables
Date   Mon, 30 May 2011 12:01:40 -0600

Hello all!

I have a problem, and I am not sure what to do. Tried for 3 days.
I need to generate a new variable, or come up with a command, that will tell me the real count of how many of “hsc_num” each different codes each “provider_lastname”(person) submitted. (“calls_submitted”).

For example: (top line of data) Brown submitted 10 units of “03.05CJ OC-Misc Desk Work”. How would I be able to illustrate how many of each type of  “hsc_num” each person submitted. Things would be easy if this dataset only listed everything as per 1 unit of  “calls_submitted”, but the submission units vary from 1 to 52 units in my dataset.

I want to be able to say something like:
Brown submitted 340 units of calls, and his “hsc_num” types were distributed this way (in frequencies etc).
Jones submitted total of 19 units of calls, and his codes were 10 of A, 8 of B, 1 of C, etc...

I acn graph it or just do tables, anything will be great.

SAMPLE of dataset:

provider_lastname,  calls_submitted,   hsc_num
Brown   10    03.05CJ OC-Misc Desk Work
Brown   10    03.05TN DC-Misc Desk Work Multiple Pts
Brown   2    03.05UT DC-Telephone with Patient
Brown   1    03.05TU Otr Diagnos Inter./Eval.
etc.
Jones   1    03.05TU Otr Diagnos Inter./Eval.
Jones   10    03.05CJ OC-Misc Desk Work
Jones   8    03.05TN DC-Misc Desk Work Multiple Pts
etc.
Smith   10    03.05CJ OC-Misc Desk Work
Smith   10    03.05CJ OC-Misc Desk Work
etc.
Red   10    03.05CJ OC-Misc Desk Work
Red   8    03.05CJ OC-Misc Desk Work
Red   10    03.05CJ OC-Misc Desk Work
<snip>

Thank you very much for any help!

Lucie

This message and any attached documents are only for the use of the intended recipient(s), are confidential and may contain privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, retransmission, or other disclosure is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately, and then delete the original message. Thank you.