Re: st: rectangulizing data

From   Dmitriy Krichevskiy <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: rectangulizing data
Date   Thu, 26 May 2011 13:44:57 -0400

Thanks for the links Austin,
I am lucky to find an expert on both the matter and the data. I am
basically finding similar results as your paper though my interest is
in self-employment vs. wage work. I am still puzzled by the enormous
volatility an average individual faces. Out of the small sample of
people I personally know no one is subjected to such fluctuations,
most certainly no one working for a wage. This makes me uncomfortable
because either I  and the people I know are not a good representative
of an average individual or (more worrisome scenario) those
participating in SIPP are some strange individuals self-selecting to
participate.

Back to the issue at hand: would you abandon attempts to calculate
annual income, impute or drop people missing several months?
By abandoning I presume switching to 4 month cumulative (or average) intervals.

On 5/26/11, Austin Nichols <[email protected]> wrote:
> Dmitriy Krichevskiy <[email protected]>:
> Nor is dropping cases harmless; there is some discussion at
> http://www.urban.org/publications/411971.html
> and slides 12-14 of
> http://www-personal.umich.edu/~nicholsa/an_dds.pdf
>
> On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 12:52 PM, Dmitriy Krichevskiy
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Thank you for you responses; I apologize for the confusion(s),
>>
>> Clarification then,
>>
>> The data comes from Survey of Income and Program Participation (SIPP)
>> and my particular dataset combines 7 years of data. The data is
>> collected quarterly and recorded monthly (via phone interviews). Hence
>> time=14 is the second month of the second year. Many people in this
>> sample miss interviews often, also income exhibits a lot of volatility
>> (I still do not know why). My goal is to analyze income transitions
>> from quintile to quintile (via -xttrans-) and for annual income I need
>> to aggregate monthly income while differentiating between zero income
>> from missing income. Hence, I am trying to drop people who only have
>> few month of income on record for those years where their information
>> is incomplete while keeping the same people for other years in which
>> they have all the income information recorded. Given very large
>> volatility and a lot of missing interviews I am not sure imputing
>> income is harmless.
>>
>> On 5/26/11, Nick Cox <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> I think this might need to be
>>>
>>> bysort ID year: egen obs = count(month)
>>>
>>> -- perhaps after some work --
>>>
>>> but as is agreed the example is unclear.

Dmitriy Krichevskiy Ph.D. Candidate
Economics Department
Florida International University
www.fiu.edu/~dkrichev

Research Associate, College of Education
Lumina Foundation Project