st: date conversion

From   Michael Eisenberg <meisenberg713@gmail.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   st: date conversion
Date   Thu, 26 May 2011 08:04:09 -0500

Colleagues,

I need to convert a series of dates in my dataset to a specific format
for a collaborator.  Currently, they are in the standard stata date
format.

I need to make them into string variables in the following format:

01051987 which is Jan 5, 1987
09151973 which is Sept 15, 1973
12302005 which is Dec 30, 2005

where the month is always 2 characters and the day is also always 2
characters and year is 4 characters.

Is this possible?

Thank you in advance.

Mike