Re: st: svy subpop option and e(sample)

From   Richard Williams <>
Subject   Re: st: svy subpop option and e(sample)
Date   Wed, 25 May 2011 15:19:35 -0500

At 02:03 PM 5/25/2011, Steven Samuels wrote:

I have to agree with Stas. While the standard errors from subsetting and from using -subpop()- might be indistinguishable, it is not a given. My example was simplistic: there were no strata, and clusters were independent of the subpopulation, weight, and analysis variables.

Another, potentially more serious, problem for subpopulation analysis is not, I believe, mentioned in the SJ article: bias can arise if the supplied weights, appropriate for the whole sample, are wrong for the subpopulation. Levy & Lemeshow (2008, p.148) give a simple example.

Thanks to both you and Stas. Just so I am clear, would this be a problem even if using the subpop option, or only if using an extract?

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
HOME:   (574)289-5227
EMAIL:  Richard.A.Williams.5@ND.Edu