st: Re: Unexpected results with merge with update option

From   laurendeason <>
Subject   st: Re: Unexpected results with merge with update option
Date   Tue, 24 May 2011 17:51:49 -0700 (PDT)

Did you ever find out more about this? I have just encountered the same
problem, but what is really strange is that the problem only occurs when I
run my code on a version of Stata/MP 11.1 (on the linux cluster at my
University), while when I run identical code on the version of Stata I have
on my laptop (Stata/SE 11.1), it behaves differently (it behaves as one
would expect merge 1:m, update to behave).  I also ran the code you posted
on my version of Stata/SE 11.1, and indeed the merged records take the value
of x1 from the using dataset for all observations.

Does anyone know what's going on here?  Is there a problem with Stata/MP???