st: Changing part of variable names

Subject   st: Changing part of variable names
Date   Tue, 24 May 2011 14:27:39 +0200

I have the following problem: I have 11 separate Stata-files, each containing a cross-section for one specific year. The variables in each corss-section are the same, except for the names, which carry a year tag in the variable name, so there's e.g. income07 in the cross-section for 2007, and income08 in the one for 2008. Now, I want to transform these 11 files into one panel data set. Therefore, I need to rename the variables in each cross section (several hundreds per cross-section) such that they have the same name, i.e. income07 and income08 need to become incomeXX -otherwise "append" wouldn't work. How do I do this with a loop? Further complication: the year tag can be anywhere in the variable name, things like in07come, income07 or inco07me are possible.

Jetzt informieren: