Re: st: RE: using loop to generate distributions with different means and standard deviations

From   Sarah Elizabeth Edgington <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: using loop to generate distributions with different means and standard deviations
Date   Fri, 20 May 2011 23:44:06 -0700

Lance,
My first piece of advice is when working on something complicated, get it to work once before you worry about loops.

Since I haven't used -drawnorm-, I assumed that the syntax you initially gave actually worked for the case you gave and that what you were trying to do was figure out how to repeat it. If the syntax doesn't work once, it clearly won't work in a loop.

Looking at how -drawnorm- works, you want to create a vector of means and standard deviations.

I'm going to assume that the code that you said you initially ran to create the mean and sd vars, does what you want it to. Obviously if you haven't already confirmed that you have the variables that you want to feed into -drawnorm- you should do that first.

What you need is a list of variable names you want drawnorm to create, a vector of means, and a vector of standard deviations. There's almost certainly a more elegant way to do this, but here is one way to get you what you need:

forv i=1/3 {
        *create a local macro that has the list of vars you want to create
        local products "`products' product`i' "

        *then create one with the mean values with a slash
        sum max_product`i'
        local mn`i'=r(mean)
        local means="`means' \ `mn`i'' "

        *and now the values for the SD
        sum sd_product`i'
        local sd`i'=r(mean)
        local sds="`sds' \ `sd`i'' "
}

display "`means'"
display "`sds'"

**have to get rid of initial "\" or matrix syntax won't work
local mnmat : subinstr local means "\" " "
local sdmat : subinstr local sds "\" " "

display "`mnmat'"
display "`sdmat'"

mat meanvec=(`mnmat')
mat sdvec=(`sdmat')

drawnorm `products', m(meanvec) sd(sdvec)

Hope that helps.

-Sarah