Re: st: Substitute for Notepad++ for editing Stata files in Linux.

From   Bert Jung <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Substitute for Notepad++ for editing Stata files in Linux.
Date   Fri, 20 May 2011 22:21:13 -0400

Jorge,

(1) A partial solution is the plugin NppFTP which lets you save
do-files directly onto your Linux server.  You can type in your
Windows NPP and save to the server, but you will have to execute
manually.

(2) It may be possible to write a NppExec program to save *and*
execute your do-file on the server.  I think you can call an external
ssh program like PuTTY and pass on command and the relevant file name.
 Maybe this post will offer some guidance:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/npp-plugins/forums/forum/672146/topic/3300491

(3) For your Linux desktop you could try installing NPP via the WINE
emulator.  I noticed the following instructions:

"How to use Notepad++ in Linux from terminal – Part 1",
http://www.bytechip.com/2011/05/how-to-notepad-linux-from-terminal/

I haven't tried items (2) and (3) myself but would be interested to
know if you can make it work...

Cheers,
Bert