st: RE: RE: Creating a group variable based on values in observations

From   "Sarah Edgington" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: Creating a group variable based on values in observations
Date   Fri, 20 May 2011 16:49:21 -0700

Chris,
I think there are a number of different ways to solve this problem.
How many markets are you dealing with?  If it's fewer than 20 here's a
solution that gets you around the reshaping issue.
First, create a new market id where market 1=1, market 2=10, market 3=100,
etc.  Then sum this id within days.  That will give you a group variable
where each place represents a particular market (starting with market 1 on
the right) and a 1 or 0 tells you if the market was open or not.  Your day
one group id would be 11111.  Day two's would be 10110.

	gen double mid=10^(market-1)
	bysort day: egen double margroup=total(mid)

This only works well up to 19 markets because of precision issues.  In
principle, though, you could do it in any base and have everything add up to
create a unique group id.  So if you used 2 as your base instead of 10 (that
is, change the first line to  gen double mid=2^(market-1) ) you'd be able to
accommodate more markets.  Doing that you lose the ability to easily look at
it and read which markets are open straight from the group variable.  That
doesn't really matter for analytical purposes, though.

-Sarah