RE: st: How to set a year index?

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: How to set a year index?
Date   Fri, 20 May 2011 18:01:35 +0100

You are correct. I misquoted your code; a posting that crossed with this one pointed out that mistake and apologised for it. Sorry again,

Oliver Jones

Am 20.05.2011 17:24, schrieb Nick Cox:
> We're talking style, and long ago wise people warned de gustibus non est disputandum.
>
> But, sincerely...
>
> How does the extra code make it easier to understand? The presumption is that a reader needs the clue
>
> local mean = r(mean)
>
> to realise that r(mean) contains the mean. Really???

There is a huge difference between your example here and my code!
The "mean" in the case at hand is just the single value of price in the year 2005
which serves as the base value and thus using the scalar base_value makes this very clear!