RE: st: Which test to use?

From   "Seed, Paul" <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Which test to use?
Date   Fri, 20 May 2011 10:13:38 +0100

Toby's data can be summarised as 3 frequencies using
-tabulate-.  (X==1 & Y==0; X==0 & Y==1 ;  X==0 & Y==0)
He can get CI for the percentages of these with a little ingenuity

He tells us that X and Y never occur together;
so his question (as asked) does not make much sense.
They are linked by definition, (as a chi-sq test will confirm),
and no test is needed.

Allowing for his English, a sensible question is
"Is X more common than Y?"

He can approach this by ignoring occasions when X and Y are the
same, using -bitest-.  If he has another question in mind,
perhaps he can explain further.

******* example code *********
tab X Y, cell
gen neither = X+Y == 0