RE: st: RE: creating variable summarizing for each individual properties of other members of a group at t-1

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: creating variable summarizing for each individual properties of other members of a group at t-1
Date   Tue, 17 May 2011 19:22:50 +0100

I naturally have no idea what -ind_entry- means.

I am just summing it, as the code implies. Is that not what you want?

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Erik Aadland
Sent: 17 May 2011 19:14
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: st: RE: creating variable summarizing for each individual properties of other members of a group at t-1

Thank you so much for your input, Nick.

I have experimented and generated different variables previously relying on the very helpful FAQ in question.

I am struggling with this problem however. When I apply the suggested code below, it appears that the calculation of the number of peers adds up more than it should for ind_ids with more ind_entry = 1 relative to other ind_ids, and consequently contribute more to the "score" than those with fewer ind_entry = 1.

Referring to the example dataset, ind_id 2 is given the correct "prevscore". Ind_id 4, however, is not. By yearmonth 12, ind_id 4 has contributed 2 ind_entry=1 to the "score", which is correct for ind_id 2. However, ind_id 2 has not yet experienced ind_entry=1. Consequently, score - 1 for ind_id 4 yields a score = 1 in yearmonth 11 and 12, when the correct score = 0. And so on.

Here is the suggested code as I applied it:

clear ;
#delimit ;
use "ind_entry_ex.dta" ;
sort yearmonth ;
gen score = sum(ind_entry) ;
by yearmonth: replace score = score[_N] ;
replace score = score - ind_entry ;
bysort ind_id (yearmonth): gen prevscore = score[_n-1] ;

Here is the output:

year month yearmonth ind_id ind_entry score prevscore
2003 10    10        2       0        1
2003 11    11        2       0        1     1
2003 12    12        2       0        2     1
2004 1     13        2       0        2     2
2004 2     14        2       1        2     2
2004 3     15        2       0        3     2
2003 10    10        4       1        0
2003 11    11        4       0        1     0
2003 12    12        4       1        1     1
2004 1     13        4       0        2     1
2004 2     14        4       0        3     2
2004 3     15        4       0        3     3

I use Stata 10.

Thanks again and kind regards,

Erik.