RE: st: reshape WDI from wide to long format

From   Nick Cox <n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk>
Subject   RE: st: reshape WDI from wide to long format
Date   Mon, 16 May 2011 19:52:26 +0100

Sorry, but this is part of the second part of what you did. There is a first part to what you did. This is about accessing some data from some files on some website.
Do you expect us to guess all that?

Nick
n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk

Sami Alameen

I did everything in the Stata Tip, and it seemed to work until before
the end of the second reshape command.
The problem as I see it is the WB recoded some of the seriescode
according to the collecting method, that resulted in some
seriesname(s) having multiple seriescode(s). The result is Stata gives
me an error that:

seriescode not constant within countrycode year

If instead I reshaped with seriesname instead of seriescode, the error is:

seriesname not constant within countrycode year

So,
1. Do you suggest dropping either seriescode or seriesname and use the
other in the command, and that will complicate the following steps,
and I'm not sure if it's the right path to take
2. If I recode series name into a new variable, is Stata smart enought
to give multiple similar seriesname the same code; knowing that there
are multiple similar series names in one column (one for each
countries)