st: RE: drop duplicates within variable with -by- option

From   Nick Cox <n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk>
Subject   st: RE: drop duplicates within variable with -by- option
Date   Mon, 16 May 2011 16:55:33 +0100

The "by ID" element is not a problem, nor does it call for special action.

Suppose you are looking for duplicates on -x- and -y- and there is also the idea that you are checking for these within -ID-. The identifier variable does not have any special role here. You just want to look for -duplicates- on three variables, e.g.

. duplicates list ID x y

That is, -duplicates- is indifferent to the special meaning of any identifier variable.

If this does not make things clear, show us a specific example of what you want

Nick
n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk
[author of -duplicates-]

David Torres

I have data in long format and need to drop duplicate observations
within a variable by ID.  I've looked at the -duplicates- command and
it doesn't seem to help me get what I want.