Re: st: Simplification of formula in logistic regression

From   Ronan Conroy <>
To   "" <>
Subject   Re: st: Simplification of formula in logistic regression
Date   Mon, 16 May 2011 11:05:52 +0100

On 2011 Beal 15, at 16:39, SR Millis wrote:

> Mikkel,
> I have found nomograms helpful in this regard.  Frank Harrell, in his book, "Regression Modeling Strategies," shows you how to draw a nomogram from the logistic regression function.  This is done in R using Harrell's rms library, which, I believe has replaced his earlier Design and Hmisc libraries.

Drawing up a chart that covers likely scenarios is another option. My own effort is here:

It gives risk of fatal cardiovascular disease for 400 different risk factor combinations, both as a number and a colour. It has been quite popular. It took a while to get the design right, but apparently even some social workers can use it*.

*(The remark about social workers was intended to be humorous, not derogatory**.)

**If you are a social worker, derogatory means saying things about you that are not nice.

Ronán Conroy
Associate Professor
Division of Population Health Sciences
Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland