Re: st: Variables loop and deletion under certain conditions

From   Eric Booth <>
To   "<>" <>
Subject   Re: st: Variables loop and deletion under certain conditions
Date   Thu, 12 May 2011 16:51:17 +0000

Revisit -help drop- documentation. The -drop- syntax allows for a varlist OR an if condition (which drops observations, not variables), not both.
You could use the -if- before hand like this:
sysuse auto, clear
tostring price mpg, force replace
keep price mpg make
foreach varname of varlist make price mpg {
if `varname'[5]=="Buick Electra" drop `varname'
See -help ifcmd- for more on this.

- Eric

Eric A. Booth
Public Policy Research Institute