Re: st: On calling a mata-defined function in Stata

From   daniel klein <>
Subject   Re: st: On calling a mata-defined function in Stata
Date   Wed, 11 May 2011 17:58:06 +0200

Did you even take a short look at the hepl files or the manual? I do
not thin so.
Also do not just pick up on sentences that are said in a specific context.

I am also very new to Mata, but here's a shot:

mata :
void somename(string scalar x, string scalar name)
myname = name
y = st_numscalar(x)
y = y^2 + 2*y
st_numscalar(myname, y)

sca x = 5
mata : somename("x", "y")
di x
di y

As you can see for yourself, this hardly seems  "more elegant" than
simply coding

sca x = 5
sca y = x^2 + 2*x

I feel that Mata is very powerfull, but there are certainly a lot of
situations where it is not needed at all.