RE: st: Test of marginal effects in two samples

From   "Kleinjans, Kristin" <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Test of marginal effects in two samples
Date   Mon, 9 May 2011 18:08:48 +0000

Dear Maarten:
Thanks for your help.
Just to make sure I understand exactly what you mean, is this what you propose that I do:

constraint 1 [ident=0]: sample
mlogit work ragender##hcplt_1 edu2##sample i.age##sample ident, cluster(hhidpn) constraints(1)

margins, predict(outcome(1)) dydx(edu2) over(sample)

where sample is the sample indicator, and ident is the variable that is only present if sample==0.

Thanks,
Kristin

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of maarten buis
Sent: Monday, May 09, 2011 12:53 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: Test of marginal effects in two samples

On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 2:32 AM, Kleinjans, Kristin
<[email protected]> wrote:
> I conduct multinomial logit regressions on two different samples using the same outcome
> variables and (mostly) the same independent variables. I would like to test whether the
> marginal effects  in the two samples are statistically different.

The typical trick for that is to estimated them all in one model and
add interactions of your group identifier with all your explanatory
variables. You can use -constraint-s to remove some explanatory
variables from some of your samples, i.e. set the effect of those
variables in those samples equal to 0.

Hope this helps,
Maarten

Maarten L. Buis