Re: st: Executing do-file yields no output

From   George Mailbox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Executing do-file yields no output
Date   Mon, 9 May 2011 12:50:15 +0100

Nick, Neil,

I used the command "do dofilename" and I expected the command window
and the log-file to display the commands, regression estimates and
post-estimation test results. However, they only display the commands
exactly the way they are in the do-file, each line preceded by ">",
yet no regression estimates and no post-estimation test results. It
looks like stata is just going through the commands but not executing
them. I tried including an error to test whether it spots it and it
did!

"dir" tells me that the do file and the data file are in the same directory.

The do-file (98KB) is structured as follows:

##############################

clear all

capture log close

set more off

version 10.1

use  filename.dta

log using filename.log, text replace

command1

command2

.
.
.

log close

set more off

exit

The only solution I could come up with would be stripping my do-file
of all comments and running it through the command window by copying
and pasting chunks. This defeats the purpose of a do-file though.

It's a puzzling problem I have been spending days researching online,
even my colleagues in the office hadn't seen Stata handling a do-file
in such a strange way.

George