Re: st: Executing do-file yields no output

From   Neil Shephard <>
Subject   Re: st: Executing do-file yields no output
Date   Mon, 9 May 2011 12:16:18 +0100

On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 12:11 PM, George Mailbox
<> wrote:
> Nick,
> Many thanks for getting back.
> You mentioned "do" is silent, with online sources suggesting "run"
> suppresses the output, for instance:
> do filename [arguments] , [nostop]
>    Executes the specified do-file.
>    nostop allows to continue execution even if an error occurs.
>    On-line, context: 1, 2
> run filename [arguments] , [nostop]
>    Executes the specified do-file suppressing the output, except for erors.
>    nostop allows to continue execution even if an error occurs.
>    On-line, context
> (Source:
> Further, it appears that the terms "do" and "run" are often used
> interchangeably as in "run a do file using the do command" which
> complicates matters for beginners.
> My question thus boils down to:
> How can I execute my do-file such that Stata displays the regression
> estimates in the command window and the log-file?

As per the above example you've found you type....

do [filename]

...thats it.  You need to be in the same directory as that do-file,
otherwise you most specify the absolute or relative path to it.  As
your example do-file opened a log-file any command after that line
will be echoed and the results shown in the log-file as well as the
results window.

If you're having a problem you'd best show us what you are typing (as
requested in the Statalist FAQ) and what output (if any) you are

“Truth in science can be defined as the working hypothesis best suited
to open the way to the next better one.” - Konrad Lorenz

Email -
Website -
Photos -