Re: st: Executing do-file yields no output

From   Neil Shephard <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Executing do-file yields no output
Date   Mon, 9 May 2011 12:16:18 +0100

On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 12:11 PM, George Mailbox
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Nick,
>
> Many thanks for getting back.
>
> You mentioned "do" is silent, with online sources suggesting "run"
> suppresses the output, for instance:
>
> do filename [arguments] , [nostop]
>    Executes the specified do-file.
>    nostop allows to continue execution even if an error occurs.
>    On-line, context: 1, 2
>
> run filename [arguments] , [nostop]
>    Executes the specified do-file suppressing the output, except for erors.
>    nostop allows to continue execution even if an error occurs.
>    On-line, context
>
> (Source: http://web.missouri.edu/~kolenikovs/stata/Duke/commands.html#)
>
> Further, it appears that the terms "do" and "run" are often used
> interchangeably as in "run a do file using the do command" which
> complicates matters for beginners.
>
> My question thus boils down to:
> How can I execute my do-file such that Stata displays the regression
> estimates in the command window and the log-file?

As per the above example you've found you type....

do [filename]

...thats it.  You need to be in the same directory as that do-file,
otherwise you most specify the absolute or relative path to it.  As
your example do-file opened a log-file any command after that line
will be echoed and the results shown in the log-file as well as the
results window.

If you're having a problem you'd best show us what you are typing (as
requested in the Statalist FAQ) and what output (if any) you are
getting.

Neil

--
“Truth in science can be defined as the working hypothesis best suited
to open the way to the next better one.” - Konrad Lorenz

Email - [email protected]
Website - http://kimura.no-ip.org/