Re: st: How to create a new variable ...

From   Nick Cox <njcoxstata@gmail.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: How to create a new variable ...
Date   Thu, 5 May 2011 19:27:50 +0100

This is (almost) the remainder on dividing by 5.

gen newvar = cond(mod(oldvar, 5) == 0, 5, mod(oldvar, 5))

Incidentally I have traced the misuse of mod() or a similar name to
mean remainder back to FORTRAN in 1954. Anyone know an earlier source?