st: Unable to contact host

From   Karolina Palmér <karolina.palmer.stata@gmail.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   st: Unable to contact host
Date   Thu, 05 May 2011 17:20:46 +0200

We are using Stata/MP8 11.2 for Windows 7 x86-64. Updating Stata (using, e.g., "update all") has always worked until recently. Now, when attempting to "contact host" I get the error message "connection timed out -- see help r(2) for troubleshooting". I have tried the suggested solution to increase time limits; doesn't help. Tracing TCP setups using Wireshark suggests that no connection attempts are actually made by Stata, although it reports "contacting host..." and then gives up on time-out.

We have two other Stata instances locally:

- Stata/SE 11.2 Windows Server 2003 SP2 for x86-64, which works
- Stata/MP12 11.2 Windows 7 x86-64, which does not work. (Like above)

Thanks in advance, Karolina