st: Why F-test with regression output

From   Nick Winter <>
To   Stata List <>
Subject   st: Why F-test with regression output
Date   Wed, 04 May 2011 16:10:25 -0400

Hi all,

This is not Stata-specific, but I thought nevertheless that someone on the list might have a clue: can anyone tell me why, historically, the F-test is printed with regression output (in every regression package I've ever seen).

The hypothesis that all the coefficients are simultaneously zero seems unlikely to be of substantive interest very often (or ever), so I assume their must be some reason that the F statistic might be helpful in doing some manual calculation of something?

Nick Winter
Nicholas Winter                                 434.924.6994 t
Assistant Professor                             434.924.3359 f
Department of Politics         e
University of Virginia w
S385 Gibson Hall, South Lawn