re: st: Why do i get different results with year robust clusters vs year dummies

From   Christopher Baum <>
To   "" <>
Subject   re: st: Why do i get different results with year robust clusters vs year dummies
Date   Mon, 2 May 2011 23:50:26 -0400

I am using areg and
when I specify model as areg export political tension ( list of
control variables), robust cluster(year) absorb(country) I find my
coefficient to be significant. However, when I specifiy it with year
dummies as areg export political tension (list of control variables)
y1990 y1991 y1992......., absorb(country), my coefficient turns
insignificant. Can someone help me why I see this inconsistency and
let me know if one model is better than the other? I mean, what I
observe seems counterintuitive because the results should be the same
given that I am controlling for the year effect in both

No, you're not. It is a common misconception that estimating a cluster-robust VCE 'controls for year effects'. It does not do anything of the sort. It gives you a different estimate of the VCE, but it does not alter the coefficients' point estimates. Therefore a model with year dummies is not the same as a model excluding them, and if the data say they are jointly significant, you should include them.

                              An Introduction to Stata Programming  |