Re: st: mi impute dta file issue

From   [email protected] (Yulia Marchenko, StataCorp LP)
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: mi impute dta file issue
Date   Mon, 02 May 2011 09:52:10 -0500

Barry Quinn <[email protected]> receives an error from -mi impute- that
system file _mitmpfile1.dta is read only:

> When running the following command
>
> mi impute reg b bd, add(20) force
>
> I keep getting an error that the a file (file_mitmpfile1.dta) is read only
> and cannot be modified and thus no values are imputed.  Has anyone had this
> before or is it just a permission issue in my file directory ??

The most likely reasons for this error message are that Barry
does not have permission to write to the current directory or
that somehow the file was left behind from a previous run and has
permissions set on it such that Barry cannot overwrite it.  -mi
impute- saves intermediate files in the current directory and
thus requires permission to write to it.  Barry can use the -pwd-
command to determine the current directory (after which he should
change its permissions) or use the -cd- command to switch to a
directory where he already has write permission.

If Barry continues to receive this error, he should contact
Technical Services at [email protected] and they will help
him solve it.

-- Yulia