Re: st: How to generate a dummy variable based on groups of variables in t-1: Simple solution

From   "Jean-Marie Meier" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: How to generate a dummy variable based on groups of variables in t-1: Simple solution
Date   Mon, 2 May 2011 15:58:52 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

first, thanks to all that helped me.

When I was testing the proposals I got for my problem, I suddenly had an idea how to do it in a quick and nice way:

The problem was: How do I generate a dummy variable which is 1 for a given firm x and year t if there was a takeover in t-1 in the same industry (same industry code) and which is 0 otherwise ?

First, for clarity, drop all variables except

industry code

dummy_whether_firm_was_taken_over

firm identifier

year

The 3 line solution then is:

keep if dummy_whether_firm_was_taken_over == 1

(only observations remaining firms and the year in they which were taken over (firms that are taken over leave the dataset anyhow))

duplicates drop industry_code year, force

(as I want a dummy variable which is 1 if there was a takeover in an industry in t-1, I use the duplicate command for industry code and year, so that for every industry code and year combination I have one observation if there was takeover in the industry and none if there wasn't

replace year = year+1

(as I wanted to know, whether there was a takeover in the industry the year before, I simply add 1 to the year variable, then I save the dataset and perform a m:1 merge with the original dataset as master file)

Kind regards,

Jean-Marie