st: Re: insheet multi threading

From   "Joseph Coveney" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Re: insheet multi threading
Date   Mon, 2 May 2011 13:24:05 +0900

Argyn Kuketayev wrote:

why isn't -insheet- command multi-threaded in Stata/MP?

it takes a lot of time to read my data sets in CSV format. It's
clearly NOT disk bound, because I know that copying file is much
faster than loading them into Stata. One of CPU-core is 100% loaded,
wile others are idle, i.e. parsing is taking all the time. Then why
isn't is parallelized?

cheers

Ultimately, StataCorp can speak for itself, but my initial guess is that
parallelizing other things first is considered a better investment of
developers' efforts.

Are circumstances such that you can have Stata convert your CSV files to Stata
format overnight?  I'm assuming that Stata won't spend much time parsing its own
file format the next morning when you go to use the datasets.

Joseph Coveney