st: Fwd: Mergeing datasets

From   Thomas Speidel <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Fwd: Mergeing datasets
Date   Tue, 26 Apr 2011 18:32:59 -0600

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Mergeing datasets
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 16:17:47 -0600
From: Thomas Speidel <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>

I have a dataset containing mappings of various id's used in a study. The truly unique person identifier is the variable master. A person may then be assigned an id:

    master   id1   id2   id3   id4
       106   708   673     .   676
       110   713   696     .   704
       122   721   721     .     .
       123   749   722     .   728
       129   789   789   734     .
       134   739   739     .     .
       144   800   752     .   763
       145   808   753     .   780
       151   797   764     .   781
       158   811   771     .   779

I have a working dataset containg id. The id may come from id1, id2, id3, or id4 above:

. list id in 1/10, clean noobs

      id
    2014
    2030
    2038
    2041
    2042
    2054
    2055
    2058
    2061
    2065

I need to merge(?) the two so that I can get the master id for each id, regardless of whether they came from id1 id2 id3 id4. I thought this was a job for merge, but did not find a mention for this type of situations in the manual. I suppose I could do four sequential merges. Any suggestion on how to best proceed?
Thanks.

--
Thomas Speidel

--