Re: st: using svyset with pooled cross-sections from IPUMS-CPS

From   Patrick Lapid <[email protected]>
To   statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: using svyset with pooled cross-sections from IPUMS-CPS
Date   Tue, 26 Apr 2011 13:02:31 -0700

Thank you, Stas. I'm not sure if declaring the survey design may be necessary,
since I'm not necessarily generalizing the results to the total U.S. population.
Should I just use regress with the vce(cluster) option? Would it be necessary to
use pweight (sampling weights)?

Best, Patrick

----Stas Kolenikov's <[email protected]> reply----

I don't think this is right. CPS is a rotating design, with the same
households appearing (say) in February, March, April and May in both
(say) 2010 and 2011. With your -svyset-, they would be treated as if
they belonged to separate strata, which is not right (and
counterproductive, actually: this design is optimized to have small
standard errors on the measures of change, with 3/4 overlap between
consecutive months, and 1/2 overlap between consecutive years, which
helps bring down the variances by probably 20% and 10%, respectively,
off the top of my survey statistician's intuition).

---end reply---