st: using svyset with pooled cross-sections from IPUMS-CPS

From   Patrick Lapid <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: using svyset with pooled cross-sections from IPUMS-CPS
Date   Tue, 26 Apr 2011 09:56:16 -0700

Hello Statalist,

I'm currently working on a labor economics project using the U.S. Current
Population Survey from 2006 to 2010, with the data downloaded from IPUMS.
I'm concerned if I've declared the survey design correctly. I am attempting to
analyze the data as pooled cross-sections, using survey estimation. I used
the following Statalist post as a guide:

http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2008-10/msg00521.html

I have the following lines of code to declare the survey design:

. egen hhXyear = group(serial year)
. svyset hhXyear [pweight=perwt], strata(year)

Since the original clusters (PSUs) were households, indexed by serial number,
I used egen to create new clusters of households in a given year. I then used
svyset to set the following:

-clusters (PSUs): hhXyear
-strata: year (each separate year of the CPS)
-sampling weight: perwt (person weight, provided by IPUMS)

I believe this procedure makes sense, but I would appreciate any insight or
feedback that you may give.

My about info:

Stata/IC 11.2 for Mac (64-bit Intel)
Born 30 Mar 2011