st: decoding patterns for xttrans or other regression models

From   Argyn Kuketayev <akuketayev@mail.primaticsfinancial.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   st: decoding patterns for xttrans or other regression models
Date   Tue, 26 Apr 2011 09:10:35 -0400

Hello

I have the data set, where each observation has the following format:

item#,state_history,start_month,end_month
1,111232100,201001,201009
2,1232100,201002,201008

The second column is similar to what is produced by -xt- commands with
-pattern- option.

I need to convert the above compressed format into:
1,1,201001
1,1,201002
1,1,201003
1,2,201004
1,3,201005
1,2,201006
1,1,201007
1,0,201008
1,0,201009
2,1,201002
2,2,201003
2,3,201004
2,2,201005
2,1,201006
2,0,201007
2,0,201008

because I think that -xttrans- and -logit- commands would need in this
format, i.e.
item#,state,month

is there an easy way of doing this in Stata? I've been decoding the
history field outside Stata 11 so far, but maybe it can do it for me.

cheers
--
Argyn Kuketayev