Re: st: Box-Tidwell Test

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Box-Tidwell Test
Date   Tue, 26 Apr 2011 09:17:37 +0100

Although this looks almost hopelessly vague -- no explanation of what
commands you are using, no precise syntax, no precise output, no
explanation of "not working" -- an answer can nevertheless be
attempted. If your predictor is an indicator (a.k.a. dummy), no
one-to-one transformation can possibly alter its statistical
properties in key respects, as any mapping can be summarised by its
results,  0 -> c, 1 -> d, and is thus equivalent to a linear
re-expression.

Think of it geometrically: two points can be mapped using any
transformation t(.) you like, but they remain (at most) two points,
and thus the transformation  can be summarised by the straight line
joining them in the space (x, t(x)) !

Nick