Re: st: String function headache.

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: String function headache.
Date   Mon, 25 Apr 2011 09:28:21 +0100

If you want to check for occurrence, just use -strpos()- instead. I
often see people on this list struggling with the regex functions or
-strmatch()- when a simpler function will do the job. I have offered a
talk on functions for the London users' meeting and this point is
already one of the slides.

foreach y in # {
forvalues x=1/6 {
          replace mynumber `x'= strpos(mystring`x', "`y'") > 0
}

Otherwise, my understanding is this: a pattern that is just a literal
character will be matched only by strings that are exactly that
character; for almost all matching problems, you must specify * and/or
?. You seem to be expecting -strmatch()- to behave more like
-regexm()-, but they have different jobs.

But as said -strpos()- is easier to figure out.

Nick