RE: st: Graphical challenge from Gelman blog

From   "Fiedler, James (JSC-SK)[USRA]" <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Graphical challenge from Gelman blog
Date   Thu, 21 Apr 2011 14:52:19 -0500

I'd reorder in a different way. The graphs you link to make comparisons easiest between activities and within countries, which is not the most interesting comparison, in my opinion. More interesting to compare between countries and within activity, like so:

bysort activity: egen mean = mean(hours)
gen hrs_mean = hours - mean
twoway bar hrs_mean country, horizontal by(activity , graphregion(color(white)) ixaxes note("")) lcolor(gs3) fcolor(gs3) barwidth(0.85) ytitle("") ylabel( 1(1)6 , valuelabel angle(0) nogrid tlength(0)) xline(0, lcolor(gs0)) yscale( lcolor(white) ) aspect(0.75) subtitle( , fcolor(white) lcolor(white) justification(left)) xtitle("hours above or below mean")

James

From: [email protected] [[email protected]] On Behalf Of Nick Cox [[email protected]]
Sent: Thursday, April 21, 2011 2:09 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: Graphical challenge from Gelman blog

But reordering countries on e.g. paid work does tidy up things a bit.

I think the problem is that we can all try an amateurish
interpretation of the data, but there are social scientists who should
be able to do it better, bringing in facts like typical length of
education or dates of retirement.

On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 6:45 PM, Airey, David C
<[email protected]> wrote:
> .
>
> The scales of the data across measures make using the raw data in your graph perfectly fine in my opinion.
>
> I don't like their graphs, either the original or the newer ones. At least the original ring is reminiscent of a clock face, which I think must have been the intention. I don't think it suffers too badly from pie graph problems in the manner done.
>
> If I were doing one measure at a time, the only thing I would do with your graph would be to order the countries from large to small. But this cannot be done in your graph, because country has a fixed X position across the different measures.
>
> I guess when making a graph, from data that can be used to form multiple messages, is to ask which message is meant to be conveyed? I did not read Gelman's thread to know what that was.

Nick Cox