Re: st: glm for binomial regression with

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: glm for binomial regression with
Date   Thu, 21 Apr 2011 01:07:54 +0100

I guess this was a puzzling question because as David clearly
indicates it depends on how the experiment was conducted and we don't
know what he doesn't tell us.

My take is simple. If replicates mean that you should reach for -xt-
analyses then the same argument goes for any ties observed on
predictors. That is, if the argument is that values that are similar
on predictors should be grouped then it applies also to those that
arise by chance and not just by design. In experimental practice the
intention is clearly to give the same dose, or whatever, but in
practice the received dose will not be identical even if what is
recorded is the same number, so experimental set-ups don't differ so
much from observational set-ups as is sometimes implied.

Otherwise, the key point with -xt- is that there is other information,
typically in categorical variable form, indicating that observations
should be grouped. A simple example would be if data came from
different laboratories, so that even if everyone was trying to follow
the same protocol, there could still be all sorts of differences.

An even simpler argument is that is this is how the analysis should be
done, should not be most applications of -anova- be revisited?

Nick