st: adjacency matrix from neighbors for sppack

From   László Sándor <>
Subject   st: adjacency matrix from neighbors for sppack
Date   Wed, 20 Apr 2011 19:39:24 -0400

Hi all,

I am using Stata 11.2 MP on Mac and Unix. I would like to use the
-sppack- package for social network analysis, but the -spmat-
documentation seems to be incomplete and/or still not usable with
social network data.

I have IDs of friends for each individual as an observation
(variables: friend1-friend10). I would like to repeat basically this
exercise, but for -spmat-:

It would be great to make use of the banded storage and also trust the
authors to use the matrix sensibly in -spreg- and -spivreg-.

Could anyone help me with making an adjacency (contiguity) matrix from
this data for this use?

Thanks in advance,

László Sándor
PhD candidate in Economics