st: What does "$" indicate in Stata

From   Hitesh Chandwani <>
Subject   st: What does "$" indicate in Stata
Date   Wed, 20 Apr 2011 09:49:43 -0500

I'm a new user and plan to run a 2-part regression model for charges in Stata. I came across this syntax - svy:glm $y $x if asumexp>0, family(gamma) link(log) - for the second part of the model. I understand most of it but what does the "$" before the 2 variable names mean?

I am just getting started with Stata and I know this is a stupid question but I would really appreciate if you could help me out.

Hitesh S. Chandwani