st: reporting results from a multiple imputed data set

From   "Lamla, Bettina" <>
To   "" <>
Subject   st: reporting results from a multiple imputed data set
Date   Wed, 20 Apr 2011 15:24:25 +0200

Hi everyone,

I need a recommendation.

I have a multiple imputed data set (N imputations) and with a set of dummy variables (M years).  Let’s take year dummies as an example. Stata omits of the M year dummies due to collinearity.
 As it turns out it is not always the same year dummy in the N regressions.  In conclusion, when I apply the Rubin Rule I get an estimate for all N year dummies.

Which way is the correct one: Shall I just exclude one dummy prior to running the regressions or do I report (after application of the Rubin Rule) coefficients for all M dummies?

I hope I made myself clear.

Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung e.V. (RWI)
Hohenzollernstr. 1-3
D-45128 Essen

Phone: +49-201-8149-0
Fax: +49-201-8149-200

Executive Board/Vorstand: Prof. Dr. Christoph M. Schmidt, (Präsident),
Prof. Dr. Thomas K. Bauer (Vizepräsident), Prof. Dr. Wim Kösters
Registration-No./VR 1784 beim Amtsgericht Essen