RE: st: Meta-analysis of rates greater than 1 (when the event number is greater than the sample size)

From   "Maclennan, Graeme S." <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Meta-analysis of rates greater than 1 (when the event number is greater than the sample size)
Date   Wed, 20 Apr 2011 11:28:01 +0100

Although not a Stata response, a place to start your investion may be the Cochrane handbook at :http://www.cochrane-handbook.org/ . Part 2: 9.4.8 contains information on scenarios that may mimic your situation.  Many of these analysis methods are implemented in Stata.
Graeme.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Nick Cox
Sent: 20 April 2011 09:40
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: Meta-analysis of rates greater than 1 (when the event number is greater than the sample size)

Your rate is manifestly not a proportion bounded by 0 and 1, so it can be confirmed that Freeman-Tukey transformations and the method you cite do not apply. It is not just that they "do not seem to work"; they are quite wrong. For example, any number greater than 1 has a square root that is also greater than one, so the arcsine of that is undefined. Similarly if p, supposedly a proportion, is greater than 1, then 1 - p < 0 and sqrt(p (1 - p)) is a complex number without statistical interpretation here

A more positive answer to your question might be forthcoming from people who use meta-analysis routinely. Such people might be helped by your indicating which Stata program or programs you imagine using.

Nick