Re: st: Graph Quadratic Term

From   Steven Samuels <>
Subject   Re: st: Graph Quadratic Term
Date   Tue, 19 Apr 2011 12:48:21 -0400

Quadratic trends can look linear. If you print out the graph and lay a ruler over the extreme points, what do you see?

On Apr 18, 2011, at 1:00 PM, Nick Cox wrote:

I don't know what you mean by "does not plot correctly" and in any
case you give very little code.

-predict- is a command, not a function.

This example may help

sysuse auto
gen headroomsq = headroom^2
logit foreign headroom headroomsq
predict predict, pr
scatter foreign headroom || mspline predict headroom

A quadratic on the logit scale naturally translates to a bell-shape on
the original scale.