Re: st: convert yearly data into monthly and interpolate

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: convert yearly data into monthly and interpolate
Date   Tue, 19 Apr 2011 11:50:41 +0100

Interpolation also implies filling in of missing values in gaps. Here
all your values are missing, as you have _no_ monthly values. I am
shocked that you don't appear to realise how difficult this problem
is, impossible even, and that you seem to be imagining that there is a
quick Stata fix that someone has thought up.

Whether you can or should ignore seasonality is an issue for your peers.

So my main point remains. There are various unsatisfactory ways to do
this and you haven't said how you want to do it (let alone why that
choice is appropriate).

There are any number of snake oil methods that might be thought up.
For example, an annual average might be assigned to mid-year and
monthly values then interpolated. Or, it might be assumed that
within-year variation is related to some proxy and monthly values then
assigned with the constraint that their averages by years match those
observed. See -denton- from SSC.

In some ways it would be simpler to -expand- each yearly average and
experiment with that series, and possibly various smooths of it.

Nick

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 11:31 AM, D-Ta <[email protected]> wrote:
> I would still call it interpolation (to me, imputation is related to the
> filling of missing values for some units only). But I guess my point is
> clear anyway.
>
> Moreover, seasonality patterns are not of importance for my approach, I
> really just want to know how to convert it to monthly format and interpolate
> over all month - preferably in a efficient way (!)
>

> Am 19.04.2011 10:23, schrieb Nick Cox:
>>
>> This is reminiscent of a question asked recently by Ben Ammar. See the
>> thread starting with
>>
>> http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2011-04/msg00131.html
>>
>> Perhaps terminology, or at least its use, varies between fields, but
>> your problem strikes me as one of imputation, not interpolation.  Any
>> way, it appears that there are various different ways to fudge this.
>> Which do you want? How do you propose to re-insert any seasonality
>> that has been lost?
>>
>> Nick
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 8:55 AM, D-Ta<[email protected]>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear List Users,
>>>
>>> I have the following yearly data.
>>>
>>> id      Label   alq2_2000       alq2_2001       alq2_2002
>>> 1       group1  19,3            19,8            18,2
>>> 2       group2  19,3            19,8            18,2