st: Count observations within timeframe

From   Michael Hecker <Hecker.Michael@gmx.de>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   st: Count observations within timeframe
Date   Thu, 14 Apr 2011 18:50:25 +0200

Hello everybody,
I have a dataset with M&A transactions and I want to create a variable that holds the number of successfull transactions during the last 100 days. The relevant variables should be: announcement date, completion date and status (widthdrawn/completed/pending).

One solution is to use two loops (one that runs over all transactions and one the goes from the current transaction backwards until it finds a transaction with completion date more than 100 days ago), but I suppose there must be a more efficient solution. Maybe something with egen and count

Thanks in advance,
Michael