Re: st: add up variable / quantile

From   Nick Cox <njcoxstata@gmail.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: add up variable / quantile
Date   Thu, 14 Apr 2011 16:32:26 +0100

gen var3 = var1 == var2

is certainly a good way to create a variable saying whether two
variables are the same. But what do you mean that "this is not
working"?

Note that -- necessarily -- this syntax compares values in the same
observation, and not in different observations.

gen var4 = var1 == var2[_n-1]

illustrates an extension which may be closer to what you seek.

Nick