st: save9 and c(changed)=1 status

From   Marco Ercolani <>
To   "" <>
Subject   st: save9 and c(changed)=1 status
Date   Thu, 14 Apr 2011 12:41:32 +0100

Dear Statalisters,

How do I change Stata's creturn status from:
without actually saving the dataset currently in memory?

(I ask because I am refining my save9 ado script and when
Stata 10 or 11 saves the dataset in the Stata 9 format the
status remains at c(changed)=1 and this means that attempts
to exit after "save9" produces:

. save9 MyData
This is Stata 11.2 software:
file MyData.dta saved

. exit
no; data in memory would be lost

The same problem exists when using Stata's "saveold" command.)

Dr Marco G. Ercolani
Department of Economics
University of Birmingham
Edgbaston, B15 2TT