Re: st: -tabout- excess space between caption and first line

From   Michael Crain <[email protected]>
To   Statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: -tabout- excess space between caption and first line
Date   Wed, 13 Apr 2011 23:43:37 -0400

Many thanks, Eric.

I identified two problems causing extra vertical space thanks to your
 comments and have fixed the problem.

First, having \begin{center} and \end{center} in the table environment
was causing some of the extra space as you noted. I am using only
\centering in the table as you suggested.

Second, I also discovered that the caption package that I'm using
was also adding extra vertical space in that table for some reason.
I'm using that package to control long captions to split them onto
two lines. My fix to eliminate the vertical space is to add
\captionsetup{skip=0pt} in the table environment before the caption.
'Skip' is a setting in the caption package that controls the spacing
between caption and toprule. Also, for some reason, I was getting
the extra spacing only in this table and in none of my others. This
table is the only one I where I used -tabout-, whereas the other
tables I created using -esttab-. I'm not sure why only this table
was affected by the caption package.