Re: st: Renaming variables, bis

From   Nick Cox <>
Subject   Re: st: Renaming variables, bis
Date   Tue, 12 Apr 2011 11:55:57 +0100

You received two replies earlier which you don't comment on.

I guess you mean

local NewVarName = subinstr(`var'[1]," ","_",.)

This would work if the entire dataset has been read in as strings and
the intended variable names were in the first observation of every
variable. You then have to -drop- the first observation and
-destring-, or so I guess.

If this were my problem, I would separate the input of the body of the
data and the renaming. So, I would read in from line 9 onwards and
then fix the dopey names in Stata.

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 11:35 AM, BAIJER Jan 212040 <> wrote:

I have a tab delimited text file that I would like to work on using
Stata. This file has a header that I'd like to eliminate; line 9 of
the file contains variable names, lines 10 and further contain the